Join the Animal Welfare League of Alexandria (AWLA) for a "Howl-O-Ween" event, hosted by Hotel Monaco and Jackson 20 restaurant. The popular dog costume contest that has become an Old Town tradition features more than 50 canine contestants modelling costumes in the outdoor courtyard. AWLA is excited to have Steve Rudin, ABC7 News meteorologist, as this year’s emcee.
$25.00--Contestant Registration (per animal contestant)
Pre-register today for the Best Costume contest!
A $25 donation enters one dog and his/her handler in the contest, grants access to the event, and includes 10 tickets for on-site voting (collected on-site with the registrant packet).
$15.00--Advanced and On-Site Attendee Tickets (per person)
Join the fun and come vote for your favorites!
Your donation grants access to the event and 10 tickets for on-site voting (collected on-site with proof of ticket or ticket purchase).
All registration fees and ticket purchase donations benefit AWLA. Hotel Monaco and Jackson 20 restaurant are donating an additional 10% of happy hour food and beverage sales to the AWLA. Complimentary dog treats and fresh water bowls will be available for canine guests.
Get a jump on your holiday shopping and purchase multiple copies of AWLA's 2017 Annual Calendar for $20 each. Calendar contestants may stop by Calendar Table Two to claim the complimentary copy that was included in their calendar registration.
Best Costume: (1st, 2nd, and 3rd place winners!)
Prizes will be provided once again by Kimpton Hotels and Restaurants.
Fun Categories: Most Creative Costume; Spookiest Costume; Funniest Costume; Most/Least “Enthusiastic” Dog
- Entrants complete the on-line form with the name, contact information, and dog name for each entrant.
- Entrants are provided a participant number that must be worn/displayed so that it is visible to Voters.
- Each dog must be leashed at all times using a standard (non-extendible) leash of no longer than six feet in compliance with Alexandria law.
- Each dog should have his/her own adult handler.
- Entrants must gather at the side of the stage when their numbers, in groups of 10, are called.
- All participants are combined in one Voter category. All voters’ decisions are final.
- For the safety of all present, especially our animals, non-ADA motorized vehicles are not permitted.
- No entrant is eligible for more than one award.
- Halloween can be a scary night; please remember to be neighborly and enjoy the spirit of this fun-raiser. The only howling should come from the dogs!
- AWLA reserves the right to refuse entrant participation. All sales are final--organizers can not provide refunds.
The Voting Process
Main category: Handlers and dogs will receive a bag and badge with their number at registration. When voting begins at 6:30 p.m., Voters will cast their votes throughout the hour using the tickets provided at registration, placing one to 10 tickets into the bag(s) of the dog(s) they deem their top choices. Event staff will collect the bags at 7:30 p.m. to begin the counting process. The top three, those with the most ticket votes, will be called to the stage. The Voters will determine by applause the winners for the night!
Fun categories: At each corner of the stage, containers noting the different categories and write-in ballots will be available for Voters. During the program, winners in these categories will be selected at random, one from each container, and announced from the stage.
5:30 p.m. Doors open.
6:30 p.m. Voting begins; Entrants, called in groups of 10, proceed across center stage throughout the hour to provide a better viewing opportunity.
7:30 p.m. Voting closes, counting begins.
7:45 p.m. Program and introduction of the 2017 AWLA Calendar Contest Alexandria Pet of the Year (if available).
8:10 p.m. Program ends.
8:30 p.m. Event ends.